Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog has been to the vet, they took xrays, blood, & did an

Customer Question

My dog has been to the vet, they took xrays, blood, & did an exam. They said they don't know what's wrong still, but my dogs back legs seem to be numb to him & he is having a lot of leakage from his anus. He also has eye boogers, & a lot of boogers in his nose. He is half way through his antibiotics he's not getting better and it's been about a week, he is very weak, and eats maybe a half of a cup of wet dog food a day but nothing else, & drinks a lot of water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this is happening.

You said Blaze's back legs seem to be numb, what do you mean by that? Are they not moving at all? Is he slipping or placing them inappropriately? Does he have a pain reflex present in those legs?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I apologize but due to veterinary practice laws I am unable to do a phone call with you today. We can however continue via the chat system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is moving them but very slow & slipping and very weak on his back legs. I don't know for sure if they are numb, but I am assuming because he is also leaking from his anus a fecal matter.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is also down in weight over 15 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

I see.

The fecal incontinence would have me worried about spinal disease. The weight loss has me worried there may be a tumor present along the spinal cord.

Has an MRI or CT scan been done or have you have a visit with a veterinary neurologist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He had CBC, Chemistry profile, Radiograph 2 full views
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 3 months ago.

The best thing to do now would be to have him seen by a neurologist. They will most likely want to do an MRI of the caudal spine to diagnose what is going on. That in combination with a CSF tap (spinal tap) will give you the diagnosis of what is going on here. Your vet can refer you to the closest neurologist.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but, I already knew that information.