How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jess K Your Own Question
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1309
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Jess K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2-year old Golden Retriever, Buster, licked up a small

Customer Question

My 2-year old Golden Retriever, Buster, licked up a small amount of liquid Tide detergent on the floor.
On the back of the Tide bottle it said that it contains biodegradable surfactants(anionic and nonionic) and to give children milk or water. I gave Buster 1/2 water and 1/2milk together.
It also said if children drank it to call a Poison Control Center.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Buster! Luckily it sounds like he only ingested a small amount of this detergent, and that the ingredients are the type that are less dangerous than some other detergents (cationic type).

With the detergent he ingested, the most commons symptoms we may see would be GI side effects and irritation to the mucous membranes. Giving him the milk and water will hopefully help rinse the detergent from his mouth to reduce the chance of irritation to the oral mucosa. You will just need to monitor him know for signs of GI upset which could include vomiting, diarrhea, or inappetance. I would feed him his normal meal if he seems to be feeling fine later today. If you want right now, you could give him something bland to eat so that he has something else in his tummy, such as plain cooked rice or a slice or two of bread. I am going to attach a link here to an article on caring for vomiting dogs FYI in case he does vomit later today: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353.

If despite following the instructions listed in the article (which involve fasting your dog and slow reintroduction of fluids and bland diet), Buster is continuing to vomit, or if he becomes lethargic or painful in the abdomen, then you will need to bring him in to see his veterinarian.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Just checking to see how Buster is doing?