Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My, My Pekingese started vomiting water when it was cold and

Customer Question

my
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My Pekingese started vomiting water when it was cold and after exercising and now he sometimes does it when it is warm. He has a choke collar and I am worried I did nerve damage to his esophagus.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he also seems to have hip pain after long walks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. It is very unlikely that you did damage to his neck with a choke collar. Let's investigate what could be causing the vomiting. I need to ask you some questions.

What is his normal diet? Does he get any people food or high fat treats, such as meat, cheeses or marrow bones? Does he actively heave when he is vomiting or does it seem to just passively come up? Lets start there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do give him a little of my egg in the morning on top of his Hills Mobility/metabolic food and in the eve. a little white meat chicken. A piece of Graham cracker for a treat.

So, he may have pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). This occurs when they get too much fat. You have him on a high quality food with the Mobility diet, so no need to supplement with people food. Is the vomiting an active process where his belly heaves before he throws up?