Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He chewed an empty pill bottle, an empty deodorant container

Customer Question

He chewed an empty pill bottle, an empty deodorant container and a bunch of paper. It seems that all of the pieces were on the floor when I came home so I don't think he swallowed much of anything but I do know there is deodorant in the bottom of the containers even when they are empty. Do you think I need to take him to get looked at?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bentley and 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bentley?
Customer: I don't think so no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I understand your concerns. Thankfully, deodorants and other cosmetics don't contain chemicals of significant toxicity for the very reason that they could potentially be ingested, inhaled, or penetrate the skin. These chemicals can cause transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea, however, if ingested in excess. There are no specific antidotes to these chemicals and so we attempt to dilute them by overfeeding our patients and offering tasty liquids such as milk, cream, broths, and bouillons. There's no neeed to induce emesis or treat more specifically unless the tell-tale signs of intestinal obstruction arise - persistent vomiting and/or diarrhea. Adding a teaspoon of psyllium seed (Metamucil) to Bentley's next few wet food meals should help pass any foreign material through his GI tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.