Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The last 2 months my dog has been lethargic, thirsty

Customer Question

The last 2 months my dog has been lethargic, thirsty continuously, had an increased appetite which has now decreased, muscle weakness, at times has a blank stare, bloated abdomen, panting, and supposedly insulin resistance. One vet said she has diabetes or possibly cushing's disease. They administered insulin but were not really successful in maintaining a level. Her blood glucose level today was 600. They started her on 5ml of insulin and then increased it to 8. Now they have lowered it to 5 again with no improvement. She is now in the care of a specialist who just called and said her red blood count has dropped to 20 something. The new vet is going to conduct an ultrasound in the morning. Any ideas of the possible cause of this. She's 10 yoa and was my mom's dog who passed away so I kept her. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Pleas give me a moment to thoroughly read your questions.

Let me first say that I am so sorry about your mother. If was kind of you to take in Daisy and continue her care. From what you have told me thus far, Daisy is a diabetic. Finding the right amount of insulin to give can be a little tricky initially. My concern with her deterioration is that she may now have ketoacidosis. This occurs when the blood sugar has been elevated for a long time. The body cannot utilize glucose for energy, so it uses alternative energy means which cause a build up of ketones. The ketone buildup causes many different issues and will make Daisy very sick. Ask the veterinary hospital if she is ketoacidotic.

So, anemia (low red blood cell count) may occur due to: ***** ***** loss of production, or destruction (the immune system destroys the cells). They are likely doing an ultrasound to look for a secondary disease such as cancer, kidney disease, etc. You can get a syndrome called Anemia of Chronic Disease, where the red blood cells are lower because of a chronic illness. Please ask additional questions.