Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is currently being treated for multiple issues for

Customer Question

My dog is currently being treated for multiple issues for the past 6 weeks. He is not current on any immunizations due to his comprised immune system. I just discovered he ate a possum. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Currently being treated for IMP, pancytopenia. Platelets 20-50000. Prednisone, doxy, Asa and Pepcid
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now eating a possum isn't ideal since it does contain bones that could be a blockage risk and bacteria that could upset the gut. Though if your lad is well in himself despite this, then we wouldn't be panicked here. We would want to monitor for any signs of blockage/upset like vomiting, appetite loss, belly pain, paling gums, straining to pass stool, or black stool. Otherwise, we'd just want to continue his usual treatments and can consider adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to his food +/- an OTC cat hair ball treatment to help any bones pass without issue. Of course, if we did see any of those above signs, then we'd want to have him checked by his vet as he may need antibiotics against bacteria or assistance at getting any bones passed without harm to the gut.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.