Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My dog has been scratching her mouth with her paws quite

Customer Question

Hello, my dog has been scratching her mouth with her paws quite often. Could her meds she is taking cause it? She is taking Salix 2 times a day and she is suppose to take Vetmedin 2 times a day but she does not always take it. She eats Blue Buffalo hard and canned together but does not eat everyday. We sometimes give her Alpo to get her to eat. She has always been a very picky eater. Do I need to take her to her vet?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear that your pup is chewing on her paws. Has she done this type of behavior before she was on these medications?

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.

I am not aware of facial itching being a common side effect of these medications, although anything is possible I think it is important to rule out a medical cause for this especially since she is not always getting her medication. One of the things that may be causing it is dental disease. This could explain both the rubbing her mouth with her paws and the lack of appetite on occasion.

Aside from dental disease, a progression of her heart disease ( I am assuming that this is why she is on Pimobendan (Vetmedin) and furosemide (Salix)) could affect her appetite and make her unwilling to eat. I recommend taking her to your vet this week to have a dental exam and have them listen to her lungs for evidence that her heart disease is progressing and her medication needs to be adjusted.