Lyndsey Kingsley
Lyndsey Kingsley,
Experience:  Veterinarian at My Pet's MVP Austin

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lyndsey Kingsley replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. Kingsley, i am typing a response now

How long has the diarrhea been going on? Has she had a fecal parasite test recently? is she lethargic? is there any blood present?

One in home remedy is adding plain canned pumpkin to the mix while also feeding a bland diet (i.e sticking to the chicken and rice, no salt and removing all skin from the chicken). However, if there is a systemic disease or parasite underlying, this simple remedy will not improve the quality of their feces.

If she is at all lethargic or not wanting to eat, I would seek veterinary attention immediately, especially because she is 9 years old.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want a free trial for anything.....I think she ate something that made her sick......I know there are simple things I could do for her that's why I asked what can I do for her.

Adding fiber to her diet can help; canned pumpkin is a really good at-home remedy and most dogs love it if they are still eating. Add 2 heaping tablespoons to each meal. Be sure to provide plenty of access to water to help the extra fiber pass. I don't recommend kaopectate; it can cause more problems in the long run. Also, feeding a bland, low fat diet with easy to degest carbohydrates can help decrease the gas and acid production that causes additional irritation to the GI tract. A trio of boiled, skinless chicken breast, white rice, and fat free cottage cheese is a good at home option with the dollops of pumpkin mixed in.

Pepto-bismol may not stop the diarrhea, but it may make her feel better. 1/2 tablet is ok to give at home. Keep in mind that it may change the color of her stool to a dark black color. Be sure to let your veterinarian know if you take her in so this color change is not mistaken for intestinal bleeding.

Other things that can't be done at home if it does not resolve is fluid therapy and antibiotic therapy to help with dysbiosis.

Did this help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thks I will try your suggestions.

Good luck, all the best!