Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My two dogs tore up a bottle of Iron supplements. I had 97

Customer Question

My two dogs tore up a bottle of Iron supplements. I had 97 tabs and can only find 72. Their vet wasn't sure, because I don't know if they ingested anything as I was not home. I'm not sure how long ago they tore into it, but they seem to be acting okay. I just want to be sure
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo 1 year and Otis 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?
Customer: Milo is 65 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dogs. Do you have the bottle still? Can you read me the active ingredient (there are different forms of iron and they have different levels of absorption) and the size in mg of each tablet? And the weights of your dogs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Milo is 65 pounds, Otis is 30 pounds. The tabs are 65 mg and the ingredients say dried ferrous sulfate
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Give me a few minutes here to do some calculations. So either one could have eaten 20 tablets?

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

And no idea how long ago they could have eaten this?

If it is possible that it has been within the past few hours, I would go ahead and try to induce vomiting in them unless they have a medical condition that would make this inadvisable (such as megaesophagus or laryngeal paralysis).

For the 30 pound dog, I would give between 20 and 30 ml of hydrogen peroxide orally. For the 65 pound dog I would give 45 ml of hydrogen peroxide.

Luckily, based on my calculations, according to the ASPCA toxicology center, your dogs could have ingested a total of 600 mg of elemental iron (up to 25 tablets of 65 mg size of anhydrous ferrous sulfate, which is only 37% elemental iron, so 37% of 1625 mg would be a total of about 600 mg of elemental iron). If one dog ate ALL the tablets alone, for your larger dog he would have received about a 20mg per kg of body weight dose. For the smaller dog, a 46 mg per kg of body weight dose. Symptoms are not usually seen at doses less than 20mg per kg, so the larger dog would likely have no symptoms. At doses between 20 and 60 mg per kg we can see milder clinical signs (GI upset- vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia). At doses higher than 60mg per kg more severe signs can arise. So luckily, if any signs develop, we should just have mild GI upset, but inducing vomiting may be prudent just to be on the safe side!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

If the dogs do not vomit after ten minutes, then you can repeat the hydrogen peroxide one time and one time only.

Even if they don't vomit up the pills, hopefully you may only see some mild GI upset, which you can let your dog's vet know about. Here is an article on dealing with vomiting and diarrhea: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353 if that occurs.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just touching base to see if you got my reply and how your dogs were doing? Usually with this type of ingestion, if we are going to see symptoms they will appear within the first 6 hours.