Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My dog has been vomiting since Friday. only yesterday he

Customer Question

Hi my dog has been vomiting since Friday. only yesterday he started drinking water if we gave him too much he would throw it up. we brought him to the vet he said it could be blockage, took xray but the was nothing definitive. he got a shot to prevent vomiting so far it has worked he's drinking water but still refuses to eat. took him out this morning and did poop it was a bit runny also dark brown
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: we aren't sure he as been eat more human food than usual, we did find a shoot up roll of toilet paper
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** his 14 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Odin?
Customer: we've come to find out his allergic to laundry detergent or softener and is allergic to peanut butter (he throws it up after eating it)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am sorry to hear Odin is experiencing this. The fact he is not recovered with the antivomit injection means he is not yet cured. I do have a few further questions to understand what is going on:

1)When at his veterinarian did he have some lab work (which should include a complete blood count, chemistry profile, urine check and stool check)? Any abnormalities found on this?

2) Did your veterinarian do any fluid therapy or recommend this? Ideally if we are worried about blockage, even if not obvious on the radiographs (X-rays) then we recommend fluid therapy for at least 24 hours; this is ideally done intravenously (hospitalization is needed) or could have been administered some subcutaneous (under the skin) fluids. After that many days of not eating or drinking well he is probably moderately dehydrated which only worsens the situation and we need to correct this.

3) What are you trying to feed him? I hope you are offering only a bland diet as recommended by your vet (either cooking chicken and rice OR using one of the prescription bland diets such as Hill's i/d or Royal Canin GI or Purina EN).

4) How long has he had diarrhea? Just today or several days?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the vet didn't do any of that we were hope he would because we'very been reading on it and think it could be Parvo, yet his poop doesn't have blood in it. they did give him fluids under the skin to keep him from dehydrating more, he has been drinking water and a fair amount he still refuses to eat the ID can food they gave us and the rice. yes we are keeping his diet bland it started Sunday after not having anything in his stomach
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The diarrhea started on Sunday before that it looked normal
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

Parvovirus gastroenterites is a huge concern, but if he was properly vaccinated as a puppy with a series of 3 to 4 vaccinations from his vet at 3 weeks intervals, then this is not likely at all. If he is not vaccinated, then your vet can do an easy in house test to screen. Usually this virus causes profound bloody diarrhea and vomiting. The vaccine is extremely effective. Now, there are other viral conditions, such as coronavirus that could cause similar signs. There are also other issues that could cause vomit/diarrhea such as you are seeing such as pancreatitis, liver issues, kidney issues, intestinal parasites, an endocrine problem such as Addison's disease, and the list continues.

Sounds like the next best step would be some lab testing. You can discuss his risk for parvo and if it is worth running this test. If he was vaccinated properly, then I think this not necessary but would spend money on a CBC and chemistry profile +/- stool check (if he is on his monthly heart worm preventive then unlikely to be parasites unless on one that doesn't cover whipworms and this could be whipworms).

Great that he is on the i/d diet. This can only help. Also having him on a daily probiotic can be useful. Sounds like, though, he needs more than this sort of supportive care and may need more prescription medication for his symptoms such as something to stop the diarrhea (like metronidazole) and something for ongoing nausea beyond what the injection could cover (only works for 24 hours).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey