Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

May have ingested some Gamma-Cyhalothrin. Doesn't want to

Customer Question

May have ingested some Gamma-Cyhalothrin. Doesn't want to eat or drink and we noticed some mouth shuddering.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pepper, 2 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?
Customer: She is a pit bull.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this happened.

How much did she ingest?

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 days ago. Not sure how much. We spread on our lawn. A few hours later we let the dogs out. She is the only one sick, but my wife told me she likes to eat grass.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I see.

At this point it is too late to do anything to prevent absorption of the drug. You typically want to decontaminate the GI tract within a couple hours after ingestion. Care right now would be supportive based on what signs come up (vomiting, decreased appetite, etc).

It generally has a very low toxicity, however any dog or human can have a reaction to any medication or chemical. Since she does not want to eat or drink and you think you are seeing mouth shuddering (which could be focal seizures), I would have her checked by your vet today and they can do a good exam and possibly check baseline bloodwork to make sure there is no ill effect from the medication. These can sometimes cause liver injury which can lead to issues with the GI tract and sometimes neurologic changes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.