Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My Spaniel has diabetes and just over night she is loosing

Customer Question

Good Day, My Spaniel has diabetes and just over night she is loosing her sight. We have
noticed that she has a light film over her eyes.
Please help
Kind Regards
Chris Wells
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

Now we need to tread with care when our diabetic dogs suddenly lose their sight. Often we will see these two linked because of diabetic cataracts ( which can be removed with specialist surgery). That said, if see a film over the top of the eye clouding her sight, then this is more suggestive of damage or infection of the cornea. This is the top layer of the eye and can be ulcerated but also can be of risk of bacterial conjunctivitis. With this in mind, how severely her sight is compromised, and how delicate eyes are, we'd want to keep her calm, away from risky sites like the pool, and have her eyes checked as soon as her vet is open. If this is due to corneal concerns, the sooner treatment is started, the better chance we can help her regain some sight.

Please take care,
Dr. B
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Chris Wells,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Whisky. How is everything going?

Dr. B.