Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Wow i think my dog has either a yeast infection or some kind

Customer Question

hi wow i think my dog has either a yeast infection or some kind of problem with her Vaginia she is prone to allergies and skin problems then is red staining around her vulva and there seems to be a strange infected part that can be pushed out that i haven't seen almost like a the red or a male dogs privates when he's excited
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she's a pom and she's 13
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Singa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Singa?
Customer: She had half her liver removed last year due to non malignant but bleeding masses
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

Allergies can make her want to lick at her vulva and this can in turn cause saliva staining, irritation and worsen bacterial infection. It sounds like your dog has vaginitis which is inflammation of the vagina and vulva. The first thing I recommend is putting an e. collar on her to prevent her from licking and making it worse. She may also need to be on antibiotics or you may need to clean the area or use a topical spray to help get the infection under control. The pink thing that you are noticing is likely the clitoris which is an area of erectile tissue that may be more prominent with the excess blood flow going to the vulva with all of the inflammation present. Does this help to answer your question today?

Hi, just checking in about Singa. Do you have any further questions about what I told you?