Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

He needs his nails cut and taking him anywhere for this is

Customer Question

He needs his nails cut and taking him anywhere for this is out of the question. He gets upset with me when I cut my own nails. I am also worried about his joints as he is a lab and is now having problems getting across the tile. I was told it is his nails and it could be right? Champ is also 6 years old, not a young pup anymore
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Champ bleeding a lot?
Customer: From where? No bleeding
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Champ?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Overgrown nails can make it more difficult for a middle aged or older dog to be able to walk on slicker surfaces. He definitely needs to have the nails trimmed. If you are not able to take him to a groomer, pet store or your local vet, then you can try a nail grinder at home. The key is getting him adjusted to having his feet touched, You can touch his feet and then give a treat. You then progress to touching his feet with the clippers or grinder (works best because does not pinch) and giving a treat. As far as arthritis, it is possible in even a middle aged lab, especially if Champ is over weight. Glucosamine and Omega 3 fatty acids are great long term joint supplements and can be purchased over the counter. Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please rate my response. Take Care