Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I need some help I am concerned my dog ate one of my

Customer Question

Hi I need some help I am concerned my dog ate one of my multivitamins. If he did it was only one . The iron is 4.5 mg per pill and he is about 4-5 pounds . Again I am unsure if he ate it but it may have fallen on the floor and he ate it. I just want to be extra careful he's my baby
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

The only ingredient of concern in multivitamin/mineral supplements is vitamin D3 which in excess can cause acute renal failure. You mentioned iron which is a mineral but that Nelson ingested one of your multivitamins. Please clarify.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also wanted to add vitamin k 12.5 mcg, vitamin d 150 mg, iodine 37.5 mcg , they are prenatel vitamins so they are a lot on the label
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi did you get it okay

Thank you! There are 150 IU of vitamin D3 in one of these tablets. Nelson would have needed to ingest ~9000 IU of D3 to intoxicate himself. The other ingredients are of little consequence. There's always the possibility of transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting such an unusual "food" but Nelson will remain safe.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I give him some activated charcoal powder just in case ? Also should I feed him tonight ?

No, there's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Feeding is fine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you so much for all your help it's really appreciated !

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I just wanted to clarify you were able to see the picture of the bottle ? You are not worried about the iron amount ? I have never added images before so I got a little confused

Yes, I reviewed the entire label. Thank you for that. The iron amount is similar to what would be found in a canine supplement. Generic Pet Tabs contain 3 mg iron/tablet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok awesome ��

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nelson. How is everything going?