Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 pound yorkie is 1 year old and MAY have eaten 1 D3

Customer Question

My 8 pound yorkie is 1 year old and MAY have eaten 1 D3 vitamin. 2000 IU of cholecalciferol is this seious if it was just 1 and I m not sure she even ate it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, Vitamin D3 toxicity in dogs is very dependent on the amount and weight of the patient. We get concern with doses above 100mcg/kg, in this case, based on weight your dog took a dose of 13.8mcg/kg, this will not be toxic for her; she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was pretty sure it was not serious, but I needed expert confirmation as it is late evening.
Thank you for your quick reply

I am glad I was here to help.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter