Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My toy poodle was tested today urine analyzer glucose 1000

Customer Question

My toy poodle was tested today urine analyzer glucose 1000 mg/dl, ketones 50 mg/dl sg 1.009. Catalyst dx glucose 403 mg/dl. ProCyte dx wbc 21.87 K/up, neu 17.21 K/up and Fru 159 umol/l She is lethargic , drinking & urinating x3 loss of appetite What are we looking at ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Cleopatra is showing these symptoms. Unfortunately bloodwork and urine do lean towards diabetes mellitus (DM) but with ketones in the urine there is a more pressing concern of diabetes ketoacidosis (DKA) which does require hospitalization to control and then sent home on injectable insulin.

Here is more information on diabetes followed by information on DKA

Diabetes: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/diabetes-in-dogs

DKA: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka-in-dogs

Luckily this is very treatable but can be life threatening if not addressed asap. If your veterinarian is still open then she should be admitted for therapy there but otherwise at a veterinary er. Hospitalization, iv fluids as well as beginning hourly insulin to control the diabetes is imperative to control this disease and once stable regular twice daily injections of insulin at home that your veterinarian will guide you through

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. Again this is treatable but necessary to treat asap to get her healthy again

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope you were able to get Cleopatra to the veterinarian

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!