Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Continually sticking tongue out and pulling back in. Also is

Customer Question

Continually sticking tongue out and pulling back in. Also is having what appears spasms in his abdominal area. He is an 11 year old Schnauzer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bogey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bogey?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. When a dog is lip smacking (which is what you are describing) that is a sign of nausea. I worry about pancreatitis in a Schnauzer. Has he had any high fat treats, meats, cheeses or marrow bones in the last week or two?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He actually had Pancreatitis about 5 weeks ago. He has had small pieces of cheese, but nothing else. He does not have Diarhea or any vomitting and is eating. Maybe unrelated but seems to have had a slight mental break as he does not want to come in from the outside and attempts to run from me. When made to enter the house, he tries to turn and go back out. This is terribly odd for 2 reasons; he is attached to me and never leaves my side and it is in the high 90's and has been so for a wk.

That is really unusual behavior. I would definitely stop the cheese because it is a common cause of pancreatitis. Schnauzers are so predisposed to pancreatitis that they really should not have any high fat anything. I wonder if the behavior is related to his abdomen hurting him. Is he wanting to stay outside to eat grass? this is common for a dog to do when they are nauseous. I would give him a bland diet for the next 3-5 days and pepcid ac 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once daily. If the bizarre behavior and signs of nausea persist beyond 48 hours then he needs to be rechecked by your local veterinarian. Pancreatitis can be a mild loss of appetite to severe with vomiting blood and bloody diarrhea. Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate. Take care.