Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We have a new rescue dog, a toy Yorkie, very sweet, cage

Customer Question

We have a new rescue dog, a toy Yorkie, very sweet, cage trained, housebroken, but is very aggressive if my husband tries to come in a room where I am, or tries to kiss me. When I am not around, she loves sitting on my husbands lap. I have tried to say NO, and tap her on her nose, hasn't helped. She is around 6 years old. My husband says, we have to give her back, but I want to see if we can do anything to fix this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Give me one moment to read your question.

So Tailor is responding that way because she is getting something out of it. The key is to figure out what. First, tell me how to react when she acts aggressive to your husband. Do you always acknowledge what she is doing, whether soothing or scolding? How long has she been with you? There are a number of different training techniques you can do to help Tailor learn how to be a member of the family. She is acting this way, because she thinks she is supposed to. This kind of behavior can be changed, it just takes quite a bit of effort on all family members. If your husband is not willing to do the training, then it will not work. Just something to consider. Please tell me a little more about Tailor and the how each situation plays out.