Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog had surgery to remove a string about 12 days ago.

Customer Question

My dog had surgery to remove a string about 12 days ago. They had to make and incision in his stomach and two in his intestines to remove it. He has finished all of his pain medicine and seems to be back to his old self. Wants food, to go outside, and is wagging his tail. He seems to have too much energy now and is trying to jump off beds and climb up and down stairs. He's a 5 lb yorkie. I try to stop him each time but he has successfully jumped of the bed once and climbed up the stairs. He's now sounds like he is vomiting in the middle of the night. But he doesn't get anything up. And has had very loose mucusy bowel movements the past two days. He has not had any of these issues for at least a week. Is this something I should be concerned about/ go to the vet about? Is this normal? He's supposed to get his staples out in 2 days. Or do I continue with the rice and chicken and see if it clears up?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: That's it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is he?

2- Is he gagging/hacking?

3- Was he on oral antibiotics?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's 4. Sound last like he's trying to throw up. Like a cat with a hair ball but nothing comes up. I wouldn't really say it's hacking or gagging. He was on oral antibiotics but he'd been off them for about 5 days now

I will assume he does not have any underlying issues with his heart, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct. No other issues.

Friend, it is possible the gagging you are hearing at night could be related to inflammation in the airway secondary to having the endotracheal tube placed for anesthesia or he could have an upper respiratory infection. As far as the stool, when we see soft stool this is a sign of inflammation in the colon, it is possible this could be related to the antibiotics. As far as the increase level of activity, this is not related to the surgery, I am not certain why he is doing this, I am sorry.

This is what you can do for the stool and gagging:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Keep him on a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Robitussin DM (cough) 1/4 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not buy sugar-free.

5- If no improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.