Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our puppy ate a hot sausage off the counter and threw up a

Customer Question

Our puppy ate a hot sausage off the counter and threw up a few times. He is six months old and while the hot sausage is red, it almost looked like a little blood when he threw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finn
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finn?
Customer: Only that he ate a piece of a corn cob a few weeks ago. We have really tried to keep everything put back off the counters, but he is a bigger puppy - Aussiedoodle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do you think he brought up all the sausage?

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do think he brought up all of the sausage. His gums seem pink/moist. He dies not seem to have any discomfort and is acting normal. He does not seem to have any trouble keeping water down. I did read another post that suggested giving a dog pepsid Ac. Wondering if I should do that. Today is our first day of school and I am a teacher - can't miss.Was planning on having my mom check on him a few times during the day unless you think he needs to see a vet.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hard to tell if it was really blood or just the sausage - color of the sausage was red.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Less than a spoonful, I believe
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that he has no discomfort since our main concern is thermal/burn damage from the hot sausage. And with the red tone to his vomit, this does suggest a degree of throat inflammation and irritation (though minor). Now Pepcid could be used but I would lean to using a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5 tsp every 12 hours) since this will be better at coating the inflamed throat. Or a gastroprotectant like Sucralfate from the local vet would be ideal as a throat coating option. Otherwise, a soft diet (ie rice with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or boiled chicken) and monitoring over the day should be fine. Of course, any more vomiting, appetite loss, or signs of throat pain and we'd want the local vet to see him so that injectable dog safe pain relief can be administered if needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )