Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is walking like he's drunk & his legs give out. His

Customer Question

My dog is walking like he's drunk & his legs give out. His eyes move back & forth. No breathing changes. He loves to play ball & still tries to play, but stumbles & falls.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He's had a toe that he bites & licks constantly. It's pink now, but he always messes with it. It's been that way for a couple years. Had the vet even look at it, but nothing major.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tank
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?
Customer: No. He's been real healthy, but he was 16 this past Jan.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Does he have a head tilt?

3- How old is Tank?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Noticed slight problems 2 or 3 days ago. Tank is 16 as of January. No preexisting conditions. No he has not gotten into anything. In the house almost all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am sorry Tank is not feeling well. In response to your question, I believe what you are seeing is a condition called "Vestibular Disease." This is when the system that controls balance in the brain goes off. The patient is basically seeing the surrounding environment as if drunk. Possible causes could be an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), brain tumors, ear infections, idiopathic (unknown); a very common cause is Idiopathic Vestibular Disease. The good news is that most dogs with idiopathic vestibular disease will get better within 1-2 weeks. Other possible causes could be thromboembolic episode (stroke like), infections of the central nervous system, tumors, liver disease, etc.
I would strongly recommend having Tanked checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. If possible, I would have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian start him on Meclizine 25mg once a day. You can buy Meclizine over the counter in any pharmacy. Keep him in a room where he can not hurt himself, no stairs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter