Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We have a dachshund around 2 years old that was having back

Customer Question

We have a dachshund around 2 years old that was having back problems so we took her to emergency Friday night and they said she seems like she will be ok and they put her on Diazepam 5 mg tablet and Carprofen 25 mg. She was fine yesterday and even this morning she seemed a little bit better but laster on she just had trouble walking. We took her back to the emergency care and now they want to do surgery immediately, it will cost around $5,000 which we can't even come up with and should we get a second opinion, are there charities that help, alternative medicine or any ideas. Being that this is Sunday our vet is closed and nothing is open. Please help us and give us some advise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is no wound on her foot and I just feel like this is happening so fast without any other suggestions.
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Alice. She was in a puppy mill in Arkansas and we rescued her about two years ago. She's a double dapple and will eventually go blind.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alice?
Customer: Not that I know of. She is a sweet dog and very lively.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi. This is dr. Hill. Is Alice still able to move her legs or is she paralyzed?

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

How long has this been going on for?

is she still able to move her legs at all?

where is she now - at home or vet?

is she on any meds currently?

is she still eating and drinking?