petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Why does my dog lick the furniture

Customer Question

Why does my dog lick the furniture
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Willie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It is not always clear why some dogs lick inanimate objects and for some it is just a behavior issue with no underlying medical basis. In some cases however, it can be a sign of GI disease and the GI disease may not always be clear evident to the owner. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a common cause of this type of behavior and the GI symptoms that accompany it are not always obvious and can be very intermittent. Symptoms can include decreased appetite, intermittent vomiting or soft stools. The best way to determine if these may be occurring is to keep a daily watch of Willie's appetite and bowel movements to note any changes from normal. If you are seeing these, even infrequently, you may want to follow up with your vet for a GI work up.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z