Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 10 1/2 year old female dog (mix Eskimo/terrier/poodle)

Customer Question

My 10 1/2 year old female dog (mix Eskimo/terrier/poodle) suddenly is peeing blood. She has a normal appetite. We went for a good walk this am, and she was full of energy. Then 1/2 hr after getting home she went to urinate 5 times in the matter of 30 mins. She seemed agitated (wouldn't sit down, and little barks at me). I sat down with her and she relaxed, I checked and there was a small clot of blood on her hair by her urethra. She settled down, and now just went again (1hr later). She passed just a clotty bit of blood. She still is eating treats, and isn't licking. What should I do? Emergency clinic? or wait until tomorrow and try to get a sample of urine?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Billy.

This is probably a UTI (urinary tract infection) or possibly she has bladder stones. She is probably uncomfortable, so the sooner she is diagnosed and treated the better, but if she is eating and drinking, it could wait until tomorrow with your regular vet.

Yes, take a sample of urine when you see your vet.

Until you can take her in, giving supplements containing cranberry, or getting her to drink cranberry juice might help her feel better.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If she is straining and unable to pass urine, or if she stops eating, then she should go to emergency today.

Let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses! I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.
Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Billy. How is everything going?