Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My german shepard will not gain waight. My vet says that it

Customer Question

My german shepard will not gain waight. My vet says that it could be parisites. He has given me some white powder. No help, I got her from the pound, if that helps. She is a great dog.
What can I do? Thank you Betty
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

May I ask how old she is? Does she have any gi upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, gas, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We think she is 1/2 yrs old and every thing seems fine. She does drink alot of water.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We think she is one and half yrs no other proplems.

Great thank you.

I definitely would start with a urinalysis (first morning sample, fresh or refrigerated) as well as basic bloodwork to ensure that there is not a medical reason that is easily treated or managed

My primary concern with a GSD that is not gaining weight at her age despite a healthy no by product organic diet in moderate amounts (4-5 cups daily) is a condition called EPI, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. This is pretty particular for GSD and having owned the breed for 30+ years I do see 1-2 cases a year, including my own dog.

Some dogs simply will not show any other symptoms besides lack of weight gain and testing for this is fairly specific. A fasted blood sample is sent to Texas A& M to test for folate, cobalamin, TLI which are enzymes the pancreas helps produce. If low then it means a simple supplement to replace those enzymes essential for digestion.

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

I hope this makes sense and gives you a starting point to hopefully help her gain some weight. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope you have many happy years together :)

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I apologize for the delay, it takes a few moments to type a full response

Does this make sense? Can I assist with any further information or clarify anything today?

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman