Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I caught my dog drinking the water coming out of the

Customer Question

I caught my dog drinking the water coming out of the air-condition unit. This was yesterday morning. Today he doesn't want to eat like he usually does and is just lay around. Do you think this is from drinking that water?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The water that comes from an AC unit is basically distilled water so it is unlikely that this is what is causing Jack to not feel well. Considering his age, this could be from many things. Since there is no evidence of a digestive disorder such as vomiting or diarrhea, this may be from arthritis causing pain or other problems. If Jack will eat some, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs after eating. See if he responds to this...often, the older guys will move the wrong way and cause some pain. The aspirin will decrease this inflammation that causes him this distress.

If he does start vomiting, take him to your vet. This could indicate a form of kidney disease or other issues. The water form the AC is sterile and harmless.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. I am glad to know that the air conditioner water doesn't have coolant or anti freeze in it. Thank you again.

No, it is known to not have anything toxic, luckily. The only issue is that if the water was laying in a tray, it could attract bacteria that could , in theory, make Jack sick. This is unlikely but best to keep an eye on him. There is no antifreeze or freon in the water.

Hi Emma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta