Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

My dog is holding his tail to one side. I'm guessing its his

Customer Question

my dog is holding his tail to one side. I'm guessing its his anal glands but I cant get an appointment until Tuesday. can I express them myself?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ddog and he is an in tact 9 year old. weighs 104lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ddog?
Customer: nope he is otherwise a healthy great boy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomer You can definitely try to express your dog's anal glands at home. I would suggest you have someone help to hold him still since he is a big boy. If he resists strongly, then he may be painful there in which case I'd suggest you stop and let the vet take care of it. If that happens, then you can try some warm compresses at the anal area twice daily for 5 minutes at a time until your appointment Tuesday.

Here is an excellent video on anal gland expression:

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If not, the kindness of a positive rating and accept of my answer would be much appreciated.

I hope your dog feels better soon.

I wondered how your dog is doing and if you were able to express his anal glands following the instructional video. I know you also mentioned he has a visit to the vet scheduled today. Please let me know how things go. I hope his issue is resolved soon.

Hi there,

Let me know if you found my response helpful or if you require additional information. If you are satisfied with my response, the courtesy of an accept and positive rating would be much appreciated as this is the only method through which I am compensated for my work here.

Thank you so much,

Customerbr />

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing