Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Gunner an 8 month mini Schnauzer began looking for something

Customer Question

Gunner an 8 month mini Schnauzer began looking for something erratically with jerking motion in all directions. He does not demonstrate this when on a walk and I can break the sequence by calling his name, he'll just look at me as any dog would, again normal. He does this looking up, left, right, etc. usually while sitting or just resting. This began last Thursday, 3 days ago and seems to have worsened.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He did have something on his left foot, but wouldn't let me see it. He would just lick it, whatever it was and he stopped this after about 3 to 4 days.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about,?
Customer: Not that I know of, and this is where we're are really baffled by this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gunner. You've described behavior that has been described variously as obsessive-compulsive behavior, partial seizures, idiopathic epilepsy, and tremor syndromes. It arises due to an encephalopathy (brain disorder) but the pathology of the encephalopathy may vary from patient to patient and in many cases remain idiopathic (unknown cause). Consultation with a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) should be considered. All such cases warrant intervention which is individualized and based on frequency and severity of clinical signs. Treatment is usually a combination of behavioral and environmental modification and psychotropic and/or anticonvulsive medication. Because he appears to be worsening, having him attended to at your earliest convenience would be prudent. In case of seizures, he would be considered to be clustering (more than one event within 24 hours) and clustering can predispose to status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate until I either heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.