Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There is blood in urine and stool, 13, Panting a lot. He is

Customer Question

There is blood in urine and stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: James 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about James?
Customer: Panting a lot. He is a inside dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn James is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- What breed is James?

5- Any other symptoms?

Friend, it appears you have gone offline. I will opt so another expert can help you. I will be going offline and will be back in a few hours, do not want you waiting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
James had cancer in the rectom and nutured him in2015
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. My initial response was to tell you that there appears to be more than one thing going on in James as is common in dogs of his age. Now that i see that he suffered from a rectal cancer, by the principle of Occam's Razor, it's most reasonable to assume that the blood in his stool (hematochezia) is due to a recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) of the cancer. Blood in the urine (hematuria) may also indicate cancer - often a transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder and/or urethra but rectal cancer can metastasize to the urinary tract and other distant sites. Urinary calculi (stones) and a bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) should be considered as well.

Excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity.

I would approach James by performing a thorough physical exam including digital palpation of his rectum. A senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests should be included in his exam and X-rays of his chest and ultrasound of his abdomen are indicated looking for post-operative metastatic lesions. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.