Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

My dog had gone creeking with us yesterday and shredded his

Customer Question

My dog had gone creeking with us yesterday and shredded his paw pads. The skin on the paw pads are either rubbed off or flopped. I tried to clean with salt water and bandaged them last night but he's still in a lot of pain. He won't even poop because he just can't move at all. Unfortunately I don't have the budget to go for a emergency vet today, I just want to know what kind of pain medicine or anti biotics I should give to him, also how can I clean and wrap his wounds better. Thank you so much in advance!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

What dog safe pain medications do you have access to (rimadyl, metacam, deramaxx, gabapentin, tramadol, etc.)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can go buy anything from the store but obviously they are not dog specialized. Can I use anything I can get from the pharmacy?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 2 months ago.

I would not use anything that is over the counter due to their risks of causing a problem.

What I recommend for today is to bandage the wounds after rinsing thoroughly and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Ideally, I would head to a vet today to be looked at. You can go to a banfield pet hospital today to avoid paying high emergency fees. ( I don't work for them or think they are the best, ***** ***** work well if you need a cheap visit on a sunday. They can look at the wound and give you safe medication for pain as well as oral antibiotics. This would probably be best.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lynn Lay. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!