Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

Our little dog was diagnosed with paralysis tick bite and

Customer Question

Our little dog was diagnosed with paralysis tick bite and she was given vaccine but it was not a tick. Her symptoms were unable to walk and she was put on antiniotics and seroids. She slowly improved and was walking after 2 weeks. When the course of antibiotics was finished she was on seroids only (every 2nd day]. She started getting weak again and shaking. Her head was wobbling and she did not want to eat.
One vet ,mentioned maybe meningitis. She kind of wobbles when she walks also. Do you have any idea what has happened to her? She is 7yrs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear she is having this problem.

Was any bloodwork checked (blood chemistry, cell counts, etc.)?

Did she have any imaging like an MRI or CT scan done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ct scan, blood work. Still no answers to possible problem.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I see. When they did the CT scan did they do a spinal tap (CSF tap) and what were the results?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure about that. What will that detect Dr G?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

That looks to see if there is inflammation of the brain (meningitis or encephalitis). Typically that is done with a CT, but not always depending on where the CT was done. That would be the next step in diagnosis, along with an MRI of the brain and possibly spinal cord as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is encephalitis? The vet said it could be ,meningitis. So i think ,maybe no spinal tap sample taken.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain, meningitis is inflammation of the lining around the brain. Encephalomyelitis is inflammation of both of those tissues together. They are all diagnosed via spinal tap and/or MRI

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She aways had a bad breath and she has got one tooth that needs to come out. Can decayed teeth cause problems like this?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Not typically. A mass in the mouth that pushes onto the brain could cause something like that, but usually there is major swelling of the face/head. I doubt the tooth is a huge issue right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last question Dr G. What causes meningitis or encephalitis?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Typically these are due to inflammation or infection. Sometimes the immune system causes this (immune mediated disease), and sometimes due to tumors affecting the brain. Usually this is immune mediated or infectious.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!