Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

It appears to be a seasonal allergy ( she is a 4 year old

Customer Question

it appears to be a seasonal allergy ( she is a 4 year old rescue shepard female - 63 lb)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: intense itching for about a week
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: have tried benadryl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: taking rimadryl - has orthromedic issues
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear she is having this problem. It has been quite a bad month for allergies.

What flea and tick medication is she on right now?

What has been done so far besides benadryl: steroids, apoquel, allergy testing, food trials, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she has been itching for 7 days - started taking rimadryl 20 days ago (she is four years old - recent x-ray shows severe other problems (she is a rescue - with us 1.5 years)has been using flea and tic collar without problem for 5 months ( Suresto)taking dasuquin also
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also been giving her benadryl 1.5 tabs every 5 hours or so
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tried topical cortisone sprays and cream
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she seems to be better yesterday after bath for several hours then itching resumed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we were going to give her 5 mg prednisone pill we have but saw that it was not considered safe when dog on Rimadyl as well....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
rimadyl @ 125 mg. daily
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I see. She likely needs something a bit stronger if she truly has allergies. Allergies are a diagnosis of exclusion, so you have to rule out all the other reasons to be itchy.

A trip to the vet is in order here as if she is that itchy, she most likely has secondary bacterial infections on the skin from all the scratching. The itchiness won't improve without treating those.

What I would recommend is picking up shampoo with hydrocortisone in it and bathe 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks: allow it to sit 10 minutes before rinsing off. You can increase the benadryl to 2.5 of the 25mg tabs every 8 hours (that is the appropriate dose for a dog this size). That may help in the short term until she is seen by the vet. This may be a long term problem that will need repeat visits, or this may just be a one time time.

Avoid steroids like prednisone as they can cause GI ulcers and bleeding issues when given with NSAIDs like rimadyl. she would need to be off the rimadyl for at least a few days to be completely safe.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

And thank you for using this service. Hopefully your dog is feeling better.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.