Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 15 lb dog has had vomiting and diarrhea 3-4x a day and is

Customer Question

My 15 lb dog has had vomiting and diarrhea 3-4x a day and is very lethargic. She won't drink and only eats grass to help her throw up. She's been like this for 2 days. The skin on the back of her neck doesn't stay up (not dehydrated). What should I do? There is no vet available today
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Very cold nose and yesterday her feet were freezing, today her feet are hot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
15 months
No pre existing
Last vomited 3 hrs ago (after eating grass
I have no way of taking her temp
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her gums are pink with tiny bits of white and they are wet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am sorry your dog has been vomiting, I am sure it worries you. In response to your question, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.