Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

I have a 7 year old male neutered britany who is in his

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old male neutered britany who is in his second day of what appears to be severe constipation. He strains and appears to be pushing hard to no avail. Last night we gave him pureed pumpkin but that hasn't helped. It's Sunday morning so my vet is not available. Should I take him into the animal emergency? He is drinking..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Rudy has this problem. I think as this has been going on for a few days and things aren't improving a trip to the vet would be a good idea. However, if he is alert, bright happy, eating and drinking and not in pain, I cannot see why it can't wait until tomorrow. But, if he is in pain or is upset then I would get him checked tomorrow. There are many things other than constipation that could be causing him to strain from impacted anal glands, an enlarged prostate, a hernia in the muscles of the bottom area so it is certainly worthwhile getting him checked if it persists. If he hasn't passed faeces and you are certain he is constipated, then vegetable oil added to his food will help lubricate the faeces as well as encouraging fluid consumption to keep the faeces moist.

Good luck