Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I have 4 week. Old puli pups partly weaned this morning mum

Customer Question

I have 4 week. Old puli pups partly weaned this morning mum has had terrible diarrhea.I have put mum in separate cage going to get cooked chicken and rice to feed her if no more problem after 4 hours will she be OK to put back to pups.they are on goats milk and soaked pro plan complete and tinned meat mixed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kizzie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kizzie?
Customer: She has always been very healthy only fed her on gusto before but put her in dearer puppy food when mated.she is a puli and breeder said they do not require expensive food as in Hungary they feed there selves while. On mountains all summer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I recently came online and see that your question about hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

As long as you aren't giving Kizzie drugs which would be then transmitted in her milk to the nursing pups, it should be fine to put her back with them in a few hours.

In addition to the bland diet you mentioned (I suggest 1 part boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast to 4 parts 20-minute boiled white rice, multiple times through the day), I might also start her on a probiotic such as Forti Flora.

I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting any otc medication for her while she's still nursing; in fact, we have to be careful about drugs dispensed by a vet for nursing moms. But, if the puppies are pretty close to be completely weaned (which they should be), then she can be treated appropriately if the diarrhea persists as long as they don't nurse.

I hope this helps although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb