Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Lab jumped on the counter and ate 18 boiled chicken wings

Customer Question

My Lab jumped on the counter and ate 18 boiled chicken wings this afternoon. Is there any area of concern? She seems fine, but my husband and I are worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello Melanie,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Melanie,

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Well that was quite a few chicken wings, but it is very much a plus point that you have a larger dog, surprisingly in my experience most dogs will get away with this sort of incident. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your Lab and see what happens, this is really all you can do as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover sharp solid objects like the chicken wing bones as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your Lab to swallow these chicken wings she would have to crunch them into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK, and also some degree of digestion and softening is very possible in her digestive tract from cooked soft bones of this nature.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Lab's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Melanie,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken wings ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.