Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

Can I bathe my 2 year old with Epton salt for for itching

Customer Question

Can I bathe my 2 year old ***** ***** with Epton salt for for itching and scratching
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear Lexie is having this problem.

Many dogs are very itchy at this time of year due to allergies and most need good prescription medication to help.

Epsom salts work well as soaks, but not really as a bath. What I would recommend instead is a shampoo with hydrocortisone in it. You can get these at most pet stores or walmart in the pet section. This will give some topical steroid to help reduce the itchy feeling. I think that would be a better option. Bathe 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks. Allow the shampoo to sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. Otherwise, the best option would be to head to your vet and have them examine Lexie. She might need antibiotics for skin infection or oral steroids for the itchy feeling. She might also need a full medical workup for the skin disease if this continues to be a problem long term.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will try that. Excellent advise
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best. Hopefully she will be more comfy with that.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again.

I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with.

Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!