Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Will not eat or drink just lays around, Jazzy and 10 months,

Customer Question

Will not eat or drink just lays around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jazzy and 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jazzy?
Customer: She did pee about 3 hours ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. How long has Jazzy had these symptoms?

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is 4 days

Hello again

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that given the time scale what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Jazzy over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is lethargic and not eating makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group, although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Jazzy to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.