Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 8 month old beagle/ russel mix has had these weird black

Customer Question

My 8 month old beagle/jack russel mix has had these weird black spots on her skin for some time. Some of them are more like sacks but those are too small to see clearly in a picture, and other are flat. None get larger then a mm or 2mm I would say. They don't bother her but they are distributed on random parts of her body. Here are some pics. One is in her armpit and the other is on her leg. I was told on here it might be caused by the dog papilloma virus, but the warts in her mouth have been gone for a while now and the black things are becoming more common. They do fall off after some time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the typos, long nails and a small screen don't always mix!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also , now they seem to be in clusters rather than a singular one.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Thank you for the pics. These spots appear to be lentigines. Lentigo is an asymptomatic condition characterized by one (lentigo) or more (lentigines) flat macules or patches of black skin. It's uncommon for these to be raised and so I suspect that there's also hyperplasia (enlargement of normal tissue/not cancerous) associated with some of them. No medical treatment is known nor necessary. These are benign skin changes and a cosmetic problem only. I've not seen the papillomavirus cause such skin changes although it can cause pigmented plaques on the skin of dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Athena.. How is everything going?