Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 12 year old Yorkie that has pea like appearance

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Yorkie that has pea like appearance bumps over most of her body. My vet said she has seen this skin infection before, but does not know how to treat.
Vet suggested I bathe her very often, like several times per week and to put her on a grain free diet which I've done. Can you suggest anything to rid her of this problem. Her Mother and father both have this condition ,however, not as bad as her pup.
Can you suggest anything?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is dRB and I would be happy to help you with this. I would first get her on natural balance venison and sweet potato food and do not feed her anything else and do not give her any treats other than the food itself. Make sure her heartworm prevention is Iverhart max and not anything else. If your vet thinks there is a infection get her on keflex until the infection is clear for at least a week so in other words it may take several weeks of treatment usually at least 3-6 depending on case. Also this is likley due to allergies so get your dog on apoquel at the same time to control the allergies.

If you follow all this it is highly likley that your dog will feel and look much better in 12 weeks time. Let me know if you have any other questions. Sincerely,DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

Please let em know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB