Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog is 9 years old. We left and came home tonight and she

Customer Question

My dog is 9 years old. We left and came home tonight and she was whining, shaking terribly, and sort of twitching. She was trying to shake her head like dogs do but would only halfway do it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Katie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Katie?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long will it be before I hear something
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, my name is***** and I am very sorry to hear that Katie is acting so strangely. How is she feeling now? Did a good night sleep help her feel better?

Based on your description of her symptoms, I would wonder about pain, especially in her neck. Neck pain is very common in dogs, especially the smaller ones and it is usually a blown disk but can also be ear pain, a pinched nerve or arthritis.

Please let me know how she is doing, I hope she is okay.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I finally got her to use the bathroom but she's still the same.

Okay, I am really sorry to hear that.

Can you put your hand on top of her neck and squeeze her neck gently? Does she wince at all? You can repeat this moving down her spine to see if there is pain in her back.

Can you look in her ears? Do they look normal or are they red and painful?

Can you pry her mouth open? Does she act like that hurts her?

Also, is your vet open this morning? She may need an exam.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I done all of that. I tried looking in her mouth and she yelped

It sounds like she is very painful. Are you able to take her to your vet this morning?

I am worried about neck pain or jaw pain. Both of these are very painful and can indicate some serious health problems.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have called but haven't got a return phone call

I would recommend just going to your vet's office and waiting in line to be seen. At my office, we always say that if a pet is having an emergency (and severe pain is included in this), we want the clients to come right away and we will take care of the pet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just felt all down her from her neck to hips and she didn't help but she is still acting the same
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She tenses up when I touch her hip area but is still not fully shaking her head

Not shaking her head is the main clue that her head, ears, jaw or neck is hurting. Dogs shake their heads regularly to relieve stress and itch their ears. Not shaking, or trying to shake and stopping means their head or neck hurts.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just tried checking in her ears. Her left ear she was fine when I tried looking at her right ear she snapped at me and she's never done that. I think that is the problem

I think you may have found it! Great! Your vet will be able to prescribe pain medication and treatments for her ears to make her much more comfortable.

Good luck!

How is your pup tonight? Were you able to take her to the vet and get her checked out? Was it her ears?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda