PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog seems to have some sore spots, in her ears, on her

Customer Question

My dog seems to have some sore spots, in her ears, on her elbows, back of her legs and around her face and top of nose. Initially, I seen the vet about 4 weeks ago and he put her on prednisone and an antibiotic and a combo shampoo by dechra. Sadly to say, she still looks and feels horrible, shaking her head and yelping anytime I try to look at her ears. The vet says he doesn't have an opening to see her for another week and a half and I'm discouraged to believe he won't find much when I visit again, as when I visited the first time he ran a blood panel and tried a skin scrapping with nothing significant. Does anyone have ideas? I legitamently can't afford to spend another 1200 dollars at the vet especially when my dog is still in pain and suffering
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is also on a grain free limited food diet. If it helps, my other dog doesn't seem to be affected at all and they seem to come in regular contact. The blood and skin scrapping didn't seem to reveal much, and the prednisone, Benadryl and antibiotic and medicated dechra shampoo don't appear to be showing any progress and it's been at least 4 weeks since th treatment began. Is it possible to treat for a broad spectrum? What other tests should I recommend the vet run? Could she have mange, bacterial or a fungal infection? Any medicines she can't take?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What antibiotic is being used? Is she still on it?
2) Was an ear cytology performed? Is she being medicated with any ear medications? If so, what?
3) Have any other antihistamines been tried?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello,I attached the vet visit papers with the medicine details. She is no longer on the antibiotic, or prednisone. And I don't believe she had an ear cytology, but the tests she had should be included in the attached. And no other antihistamines than Benadryl have been tried I'm aware of. The only item she is still on is the shampoo

It's not specific for precisely what was done as far as the ear cytology goes. There is a cytology performed, but it doesn't say what type. Her ears look like there is quite a bit of waxy exudate that is coming from them which is common in bacterial infections. If Allie were my dog, I would insist on ear medication like Mometamax or similar to be used within the ear canal AND on the pinna (ear flap). The sensitivity that you describe further suggests that something is not right with the ears. Additionally, the mometamax (albeit expensive) can also be used on the other spots of her body if they have sores present.

I would also talk to your vet about trying something other than prednisone if an allergy or immune-mediated illness is suspected. One that has worked very well in the past for other dogs is Atopica. It's pricy, but once the dog is on a daily maintenance dose it can usually be weaned down to be given less often and, thus, is less expensive in the long-term.

I would also consider a referral to a dermatologist. For cases like these that have not responded to the first attempt with medication, your money is often best spent with a dermatologist who sees cases like hers every day. Sometimes just the experience of knowing what has worked for other dogs with similar conditions can increase your chance of getting her on the right therapy faster. If you need help finding a dermatologist within your area, please post back your city, state and zip code. I'll be happy to locate one for you.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?