Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has thrown up 24 times in the past 4 hours, mostly

Customer Question

He has thrown up 24 times in the past 4 hours, mostly stomach bile, but a few small pieces of what looks like food. He's shaking, and dry heaves in between all this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of, but last Saturday he had a rib bone
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 2 years old, a yorkie. His name is Tank
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tank?
Customer: No, he's been healthy other than occasional seizures when he was less than a year old. He's hasn't had a,seizure in over a year
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In general, such persistent vomiting must be stopped with an injectable antiemetic before the stomach is damaged. Fluids and electrolytes are then given intravenously to replace those lost in the vomitus. Once my patient is stabilized, the cause of such vomiting is pursued by diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as abdominal X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound. May I have an update on Tank, please?