Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a 6 year old Bernese mountain dog. A few days ago

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 6 year old Bernese mountain dog. A few days ago whilst grooming him at a freinds place we found what I think was a Tick attached to his skin, by the time I got him home I was unable to find it. On Thursday this week my dog slumped to the floor, panting heavily and urinated where he lay. After a few minutes he got up and moved to a cooler place.
We called our local Vet who visited and carried out an initial consultation and took blood samples for testing, these were as follows; lab test-full Haematology, Idexx-comprehensive profile, Idexx-Electrolytes.
All of the results are clear. Upon consultation my dogs heart was described as normal, no lumps or abnormalities could be detected and Temperature was normal, kidney function is normal too. Metacam oral suspension has been prescribed for alleviation of pain.
When my dog Bailey gets hot he has similar reactions to that on Thursday, slumping slowly to the floor, panting and he looks uncomfortable. I am keeping him as cool as possible, he is drinking and is still eating.
Could this be because of the tick bites and should I return to the Vet to enquire if he should be prescribed Anti-biotics?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Give me a moment to read your question and I will be right back

I would not recommend antibiotics be prescribed without knowing what you are treating. Do you live in a part of the country where we see tick borne diseases. I am in Maine and we always check for lyme, ehrlichia and anaplasmosis when a dog has abnormal behavior. It is unlikely that the tick you saw caused the behavior, but where there is one tick there have probably been many that you did not see. I recommend a Seresto collar as a good preventative. I use it on my own dogs and cats. you can get it on amazon or chewy.com. It is usually $45 and lasts 8 months. It is the best flea and tick on the market. Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer please take time to rate my response. Take care.