Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

Bad breath and getting skinny, Bear, aged 2. He was 40

Customer Question

bad breath and getting skinny
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear, aged 2. He was 40 pounds two months ago, and now is 35.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: no. he was seen by his vet last month. She did a mouth exam and fecal test. both negative
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

I have a suggestion for you, I'll detail it and be right back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Breath is really a sore throat.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

There is one condition that could fit bears bad breath and his weight loss. That is a problematic kidneys. Kidney problems will give the breath a distinctive smell and cause significant weight loss. Even though he's only 2 there are still problems that can occur with the kidneys. There could be a birth defect where he wasn't born with much functioning kidney tissue and it is just now starting to fail. The other more common causes are infections like lyme or other tick diseases and the most common, bacteria that moves from the bladder into the kidneys. We would hope that it's a problem from the bladder as this can be fixed quite easily. I'd recommend taking him back to the vet and have his blood and urine tested to make sure he isn't having any kidney problems.

If his kidneys look normal on the blood testing then the next most likely problem is a tooth ROOT abscess. This is very stinky but can't be seen without xrays (the mouth can look completely normal on the surface). This will require anesthesia so checking the kidneys first is really important. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.
Hi Lisa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Scary Monday AM...woke up to Bear having terrible diarrhea with red blood. Labs we had drawn on Saturday were normal. Vet thinks it may be IBD. He's on flagyl until things calm down...then they'll likely scope him. Thx!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

That's great it's not as serious as the kidneys, thanks for the update and good luck!