Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have an 11 year old viszla, her name is Wynnie. Wynnie

Customer Question

Hello. I have an 11 year old viszla, her name is***** occasionaly seems to cough and it lasts a few seconds. Over night last night, she woke me up cause she had a little coughing episode that lasted longer than usual. Today, she had a minor episode as i was playing with her. It seems like today when she gets riled up, she gets the urge the cough but then it goes away. She is eating fine, no weight loss, going to the bathroom perfectly and it acting like her normal self. She did have her flu shot for both strains of flu for dogs and the booster. Since she isnt coughing frequently and its off and on and everything else is ok, is there anything to worry about? Could something else be causing it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Wynnie is coughing. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How long since the last time she was examined by her veterinarian?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just started over night....little episode longer than the ones that usually happen. She has arthritis so she gets rimahdly at night and i think its been about 6 months. She seems very healthy other wise. Like i said, no problem with eating or bathroom or weight. She is very spunky still.

Please give me a few more minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I know this must worry you. But, there are many different types of medical conditions that would cause Wynnie to cough, not all are bad; most very treatable. Though she has been vaccinated for the flu there are many other viruses and bacteria that can cause a respiratory infection that we don't vaccinate against, so it is possible she has a bug. Other possible causes are airway disorders and even an underlying heart disease. Unfortunately, on history only it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-examination with your family veterinarian to auscultate her heart and lungs to make sure everything is clear. In the meantime, you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not buy sugar-free.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.