Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Just got a 5 week old kitten and I have small 3 dogs. My

Customer Question

Just got a 5 week old kitten and I have small 3 dogs. My yorkie who is 5yrs old is so excited about the kitty. She won't leave him alone. Following, licking, etc. my yorkie will pant and shake when it's right next to the kitty. Help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fiona and the kitty is name is Diaz!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diaz?
Customer: 5 weeks old I think. I also need to know what he needs. I plan to make him strictly indoor. This my 1st cat I need advice on everything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is someone about to help me
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Congratulations on your first kitten. Sounds like the yorkie thinks Diaz is his kitten. If you are not seeing any signs of aggression from the dogs towards the kitten, then I would not be too worried as long as the interactions are supervised.

The best thing you can do is allow them to be around the kitten while you are with them but establish a temporary place for the kitten with litter box, food and water where he can have some down time. Five weeks is still pretty young.

As far as being new to kittens, make sure to feed a quality food, get him vaccinations and dewormings. Many dogs will prefer the kittens food because it is higher fat than dog food. High fat foods in dogs can cause pancreatitis. Again, congratulations and feel free to post additional questions. Take care.

Were you able to receive this answer? I saw you posted a second question about needing help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Diaz weighs about 600g so I read about how to tell age. He seems healthyHe's a stray found the little guy next to a window at work. He feels right at home from the moment I took him home. Any other advice I need to know he seems healthy he's eating well from what I can tell got him natures recipe kitten dry kitten food and nutro max wet kitten food. He's been using the litter box. Plays. Rests. Explores did I mention he's a sweetheart!

He is a little peanut. Great that he is eating well. He will need to go to your veterinarian around 7-8 weeks of age for his first of 4 deworming, his first distemper vaccine (FVRCP) and a felt/fiv test. I hope you are going to keep him indoors. It is much safer for them to remain indoors. If however, you decide to let him out then he will also need to be vaccinated for felv. Feel free to post a picture to make my heart melt!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent you a follow up question to your answer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Btw thank you Dr. Hill!

You are very welcome. Have a blast with your new kitty. I have seven cats, three of which are kittens. It is like a romper room!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

He is beautiful. Orange kitties are the best.