Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

His stomach rolls and he won't eat, name: Curly...age: about

Customer Question

his stomach rolls and he won't eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: name: Curly...age: about 12 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Curly?
Customer: he has a bad hip
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- When you say his stomach rolls, do you mean it is making sounds?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea, or coughing?

3- How long has this been going on?

4- Is he on any medications?

5- What breed is Curly?

6- Any other symptoms?

7- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
his stomach makes sounds. he had diarrhea last night. it's been going on for 2 days. Curly is a cockapoo. he goes outside and finds a certain grass to eat. his weight is 24 lbs.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend, I am sorry Curly is not feeling well and is not eating. In response to your question, the sounds you are hearing from his gastrointestinal tract are created by the smooth muscle contraction and gas, this is normal and common especially if the patient has diarrhea. The big question is: Why does he have diarrhea and is not eating? You see, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. His lack of appetite could be caused by any of the above-mentioned diseases, he does not feel well. Him eating grass is a sign of gastrointestinal distress. Unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian. In addition, he may need some testing like fecal analysis, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not let him eat grass.

2- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his tregular diet. If possible, blend the food and force feed with a turkey baster or dropper if he is not willing to eat.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter