Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a mosquito bite on the side of her belly which is

Customer Question

My dog has a mosquito bite on the side of her belly which is very red and irritated. Last night I rubbed bacitracin on it which she licked. Today I understand that bacitracin is not good for dogs. She seems fine. Is there any over the counter stuff I could apply to the bite to stop the itching
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cookie and she is a 13 year old maltese
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cookie?
Customer: She has high liver/kidney levels but I've changed her diet and giving her renal supplements. She also has a heart murmur and a collapsed trachea for past 4 years which is under control with medication. However, recently, she gets up in the middle of the night panting very heavily and consistently. Not sure what that is all about
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no need for a call. a written answer is fine

Yes, over the counter hydrocortisone cream should do the trick when applied thrice daily. Cookie's nightime panting should prompt rechecking her heart and lungs with X-rays and re-evaluating her medications which may be reaching high blood levels in the middle of the night which she's reacting adversely to.

No worries about the phone call. I'm not allowed to use the phone in this venue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. Thank you.

You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.